Monday, September 1, 2008

Macanudo 1968

Yeah, I've been on a break for a while. Having a fourth child will do that. But, let's keep it about the cigars...

I pounced on Mac's 3/$10 sampler offer when they debuted the 1968. Being an avid maduro fan, I couldn't pass it up. After letting them rest for a month, here I am smoking them.

This is a beautiful cigar, with a milk-chocolate complexion, oily texture, and mild veining. A squeeze here and there reveals a nicely packed cigar, but not overly so. The draw is easy, and the burn is tolerable, with a little wobbling that did not make me reach for the torch.

Flavor-wise, this cigar starts up in earnest, delivering the goods up front: Leather, earth, walnut and a nice, mild spice. and then it holds that chord for an hour. Sure, it's not a thrill ride, but it tastes good.

In a blind taste test, I'd guess this to be an Oliva Serie G or Perdomo Reserve maduro, but never a Macanudo. Still, at an MSRP of $8.50, it's overpriced when compared to an $6 Oliva or Perdomo cigar.

No comments: